Thursday, August 26, 2010

Everybody's hungry

Today both my kids were hungry at the exact same time. And there was no putting either one of them off - as I can sometimes do. It had been over two hours since Lincoln ate and he was ready to fill this house with the screams of his milk demands, and Ruby was late for her nap and on the verge of a catastrophic meltdown.

If I fed one and not the other the sounds of the freakout from the one not eating would distract the other and then nobody would eat and then nobody would nap and then I would want to stab myself in the eyes.

I have had a brutal week with the two of them and was ready to do whatever it took to make them both happy.

So, I fed them both at the same time.

Let me clarify...

Lincoln needed to be breastfed. Ruby needed to be spoon fed.

I didn't know I could do it but I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.

I sat on the couch and leaned forward putting my boob in Lincoln's mouth and while holding it there with one hand I put Ruby's lunch on the table in front of me and had her stand beside me while I spoon fed her with my other hand.

It was a very precarious situation and the slightest of false moves could have aborted the whole operation. But I managed.

I can't believe I managed.

How I am able to pull off this whole gig somedays simply amazes me.

4 comments:

Candi said...

SUPERMOM to the rescue!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tara! Your rough weeks sound really rough. Wish I could help in any way other than just sending a hug and saying that you're in my thoughts. Oh, and assvice - do you have a sling? A ring sling is easy to nurse in once you get the hang of it and might free up at least one hand for the times you really need it.

Hang in there.

Emily said...

Seriously? You kick ASS. I'm so sorry about your hard week though... I can't even begin to imagine how hard that must have been.

Amber@Nater Tot said...

That is FANTASTIC. I found you through becomingsarah and I am so glad I did :) Also, my Nate was ALMOST named Lincoln.