Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year

Well, it's now 2011. We've finally moved past 2010 which was such a difficult year for us.  I am very excited for a fresh start.

It seems though, that the cancer in my father in law's brain (and now lungs, back and kidneys), didn't get the memo that we were starting fresh this year.  The cancer is still there and it is refusing to respond to treatment.  This is usually one my favorite times of the year - after all the hoopla of the holidays is over and I can get down to improving my life in various ways.  I love January and the fresh start that it brings. 

But at the end of December 31st, 2010, when the clock struck twelve and the calendar rolled over - the pain and sadness and heaviness did not abate. The cancer is still there.  We are all still hurting.  And how can we look forward to 2011 with too much hope and happiness when we know it will likely be the year we lose Steve's dad, my father in law, the kids' grandpa?

No comments: